Unlike the previous title which was based on 2D gameplay, this episode is a 3D fighting game. There's still a button for each limb: front arm, front leg, back arm, and back leg. This combines with most martial arts techniques. The player can execute many special moves with little effort. There are intro and outro animations. Each character will have a different intro and outro, depending if they decided to do a Fatality or not.
The "Super Meter" also makes a return in this episode, the player can gain up to three blocks of super meter, by either taking damage, or by doing special moves.
Mortal Kombat X contains a roster of 64 characters all immediately selectable.
- Alister: a Outworlder raised in Earthrealm, he has discovered where Shao Kahn has taken refuge, in Zaterra, and he try to help him to take back the control of Outworld in exchange for wealth. He has an androgynous appearance and is obsessed by his magnificent beauty. Alister relies on his agility, surprising stamina and durability, while maintaining a small portion of his powers that allow him to teleport and use his Clawed Gloves in various ways in kombat, like Freddy Krueger in the previous game. He can also make transparent his body like Chameleon, in fact Alister has been conceived also to replace him.
- Baphomet: a Goat-like Oni residing in Netherrealm. Despite his slim body, he is a ruthless killing machine possessing immense strength. Even more so, his brute strength allows him to toss his opponents effortlessly and deliver powerful blows with his fists and Tonfas whom he is able to use.
- Cassie Cage: only daughter of Johnny and Sonya belonging to the "Alpha Interrealm Forces", she comes from the future, with her close friend Jacqueline, to correct some events which would cause disasters in every realm. In the future Kotal Kahn, the current Emperor of Outworld after the disappearance of the former leader Shao Kahn, will be killed by Mileena helped by her allies and Outworld, without a ruler, will be prevailed by chaos for some years until Shao Kahn manage to take back the control of Outworld. Shinnok imprison Shao Kahn in a mysterious Amulet getting his powers. Shinnok, with a huge power, joins Earthrealm, Outworld and Chaosrealm to the Netherrealm creating one big realm reigned by chaos and razing other realm, including Edenia and Orderrealm. She has travel back in time through a portal generated by the God of the Time (one of the few Gods still alive) to stop Shinnok and to advise that Shao Kahn is plotting a resumption of Outworld power. As the daughter of Sonya and Johnny, Cassie has received Special Forces training from her mother, while gaining her father's super human abilities. Cassie is a homage to both of her parents, with her blonde hair, attractive face, and figure very similar to that of her mother while her sharp wit and cocky attitude are reminiscent of her father.
- Cerberus: he is a young Shirai Ryu ninja from Earthrealm, often partnered with Ruby during missions. He can invoke a fiery three-headed nine-tailed fox (having this monster three head makes think that this character's name derives from the namesaken mythological creature).
- D'Vorah: she is a Kytinn from Outworld serving Kotal Kahn. D'Vorah's insect affinity gives her control over several different types of large bugs and winged insects for a variety of purposes, from offensive attacks to even sealing wounds and her natural extra limbs give her lethal pincers to use in combat and allow her to fly to a degree.
- Erron Black: from Outworld serving Kotal Kahn, he emulates the appearance of the cowboys of the old west. As a gunslinger, Erron Black is a master of firearms and one of Kotal Kahn's most deadly warriors as declared by the Emperor himself. An expert marksman, Erron Black is a crack shot with both of his pistols and rifle, as well as a competent hand-to-hand fighter. His marksmanship is so superb, he can ricochet bullets effortlessly. He also uses bombs filled with sand for added offensive means. He even uses caltrops to control his opponent's movements.
- Hydro C-500: a Tekunin ninja from Netherrealm. Hydro has the ability to control water and even blasted strong waves of water that were so freezing cold that they could actually freeze the opponent upon contact. Hydro C-500 is well-equipped, both in martial arts involving Hapkido, Kenpo, Ninjitsu, Sambo and weaponry. He houses a number of weapons in his chest cavity designed for both incapacitating, destroying targets and being loaded with rockets and heat seeking missiles. His arsenal full of timed explosives with a seemingly unlimited supply. He also has access to an 'energy net' capable of incapacitating his targets completely. He has been conceived to replace both Cyrax and Sektor. He is also a homage to Hydro appeared in appears in the Mortal Kombat: Blood & Thunder comic books and Mortal Kombat: Legacy.
- Jacqui Briggs: third daughter of Jackson and professional kickboxer, eventually competing in the Junior Olympics, belonging to the "Alpha Interrealm Forces", she comes from the future, with her close friend Cassandra, to correct some events which would cause disasters in every realm. In the future Kotal Kahn, the current Emperor of Outworld after the disappearance of the former leader Shao Kahn, will be killed by Mileena helped by her allies and Outworld, without a ruler, will be prevailed by chaos for some years until Shao Kahn manage to take back the control of Outworld. Shinnok imprison Shao Kahn in a mysterious Amulet getting his powers. Shinnok, with a huge power, joins Earthrealm, Outworld and Chaosrealm to the Netherrealm creating one big realm reigned by chaos and razing other realm, including Edenia and Orderrealm. She has travel back in time through a portal generated by the God of the Time (one of the few Gods still alive) to stop Shinnok and to advise that Shao Kahn is plotting a resumption of Outworld power. Jacqui is a trained Junior grade Olympic boxer able to knock a grown man unconscious with her bare hands. Her fighting skills were further reinforced through Alpha Interrealm Forces training. She uses a pair of electronic gauntlets that greatly enhance her physical strength and can fire plasma energy, shotgun rounds and rockets, and she also uses a submachine gun.
- Jataaka: already appeared in Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero as one of the sub-bosses in the Pyramid of Shinnok, she a demon from Netherrealm member of the Brotherhood of Shadow serving Quan Chi and Shinnok. Jataaka in some attack use a kiriha zukuri blade sliding from the gauntlet of her right glove.
- Jun Yuki: known as Tasia and already appeared in Mortal Kombat: Special Forces as a non playable characters, she is a member of the Black Dragon clan. Jun has the ability to teleport, reappearing in a large cloud of smoke while releasing several homing energy projectiles. Her appearance is based on the classic Japanese geisha.
- Kim Hyo-Soon: South Korean Shaolin Monk belonging to the White Lotus Society, half-Human half-Goddes, her father is the God of the Flora. Hyo-Soon is more than adequate in unarmed combat, practicing very well Tae Kwon Do and Kuk Sool Won, but she is able to use the Bow with which she can fire multiple Arrows with great precision and accuracy and can use it as a melee weapon in versatile ways. She can shift her Arrows into different effects that inflict much more damage than normal Arrows. This character is based on a female version of Kung Jin.
- Kotal Kahn: he is a warrior from the realm of Osh-Tekk and the current Emperor of Outworld after the disappearance of the former leader Shao Kahn. Kotal Kahn is incredibly powerful, possessing super-human strength allowing him to smash grown men's heads into bits of bone and gore with ease while allowing him to wield his massive Macuahuitl with a single hand. He also draws power from sunlight to both strengthen himself and heal his wounds.
- Minerva: masculine and muscular woman from Orderrealm where she is a Seidan guard. In some attacks she use a weapon consisting in two double-edged pikes perpendicularly fastened forming a big greek cross with all four extremities bladed. She is inspired by Divada from Weaponlord.
- Ruby: already appeared in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm but with many differences, she is a Shirai Ryu kunoichi from Earthrealm, often partnered with Cerberus during missions. She has been conceived as the Shirai Ryu counterpart of Frost. Ruby has the ability to control fire and electricity.
- Tremor: brown garbed ninja from Tengu clan, now member of the Black Dragon clan. Extremely muscular, Tremor is able to create earthquakes in the ground by punching it, similar to Jax. He also has the ability to shoot fireballs and launch stone missiles that petrify an enemy for a few seconds.
Returning Characters from Mortal Kombat (2011)
- Baraka: a Tarkata in service of Shao Kahn, he has remained loyal to his leader following him up to Zaterra waiting for the right time to take back the control of Outworld.
- Ermac: a red-clad ninja who utilizes telekinesis during fights, he is a fusion of many souls destroyed in Outworld's wars who came to be controlled by Shao Kahn and his Shadow Priests. Now is serving Kotal Kahn, current Emperor of Outworld.
- Hailstorm: more known as Rain in the previous games, he is an Edenian orphan due to the chaos that ensued by invasion of his home world at the hands of Shao Kahn, after that, he was rescued and raised by the Edenian Resistance following his adoptive father's death. He trained hard under their tutelage and turned into an elite, but arrogant fighter. He served the Resistance well for many years and he was denied his own command. Infuriated, he betrayed his own brethren and joined his mortal enemy, Shao Kahn, who promised Rain leadership of his own army. Disappeared Shao Kahn and came to power Kotal Kahn in Outworld, he aims to steal the throne of Outworld for himself, for this purpose he join forces with Mileena.
- Jade: an Edenian childhood friend of Princess Kitana, with her, Queen Sindel and Taven, after the disappearance of Shao Kahn, is trying to restore Edenia freed from the command of Outworld.
- Jax Briggs: got his arms torn off by Ermac and replaced with mechanical ones, he serves in the Special Forces to stop Shinnok's aims.
- Johnny Cage: a struggling Hollywood action movie star who wanted to get his fame back. Now he has been elected as Earthrealm guardian along with Kenshi and Sonya by Raiden.
- Kabal: former police officer and is Stryker's partner, after having been burnt by Kintaro during the Earthrealm invasion and healed giving his respirator by Tsung's magic and Kano's technology, now he is a menber of the Black Dragon clan.
- Kano: a mercenary and leader of the international crime cartel known as the Black Dragon, he now serves Kotal Kahn as technical advisor and weapons supplier.
- Kenshi: a swordsman traveling the world in search of worthy opponents, he has been elected as Earthrealm guardian along with Johnny and Sonya by Raiden.
- Kitana: the Princess of Edenia, with her mother, Queen Sindel, her childhood friend Jade and Taven, after the disappearance of Shao Kahn, is trying to restore their realm freed from the command of Outworld.
- Kung Lao: a former Shaolin Monk and a member of the White Lotus Society, after having managed to defeat Goro, he, along with Liu Kang, is available for Raiden and Fujin.
- Kurtis Stryker: a one-man SWAT team, now is a sergeant serving in the Special Forces to stop Shinnok's aims.
- Liu Kang: Shaolin Monk and former member of the White Lotus Society, one of Earthrealm's greatest warriors, having defeated many to prove his valor, he, along with Kung Lao, is available for Raiden and Fujin.
- Mileena: clone of Kitana, created by Tsung's sorcery in his flesh pits for Shao Kahn, using Tarkatan physiology. Immediately after Shao Kahn's disappearance Mileena confronts Kotal Kahn, D'Vorah and Reptile as they are conspiring to dethrone her. Reptile intervenes and claims that her succession is illegitimate since she is an artificial creation and not Shao Kahn's biological daughter, but she retorts this by saying she is his heir by decree. Kotal gives her one final plea to listen to his advice, but she refuses and orders a Tarkatan to kill him. Ermac then betrays her, saying he will serve whom who he chooses, and they engage in a fight. Mileena’s army is wiped out and she is imprisoned by Kotal Kahn, who becomes the new emperor of Outworld. At some later point in time, she is freed by a group that includes Tanya and begins a rebellion to reclaim the throne. Now Mileena, Tanya, Reiko and Hailstorm are conspiring to kill Kotal Kahn.
- Nightwolf: an Apache warrior who, although introduced as a historian and a shaman, does not live in the past. He is a proud and fierce warrior dedicated to the cause of good and is available for Raiden and Fujin.
- Noob Saibot: Sub-Zero's elder brother once known as Bi-Han was a Lin Kuei assassin turned wraith from Wraith in Netherrealm, he is the very incarnation of evil. He is a member of the Brotherhood of Shadow serving Quan Chi and Shinnok.
- Quan Chi: the most powerful Sorcerer and Necromancer in the Netherrealm. He serves Shinnok, the Emperor of Netherrealm, helping him in his intent to join Earthrealm and Outworld to Netherrealm creating one big realm reigned by chaos.
- Raiden: God of the Thunder, from Heaven, he emerged victorious in the final battle against Shao Kahn who has disappeared. He along with Raiden has to stop Shinnok, the Emperor of Netherrealm, who aims to join Earthrealm and Outworld to Netherrealm creating one big realm reigned by chaos.
- Reptile: a Saurian form Zaterra living in Outworld. Now is serving Kotal Kahn, current Emperor of Outworld.
- Scorpion: former member of the Shirai Ryu ninja clan become a Wraith after an extermination by the hand of Lin Kuei ninjas. He is serving Quan Chi and Shinnok.
- Shao Kahn: fomrer Emperor of Outworld, after the defeat by Raiden he has been haunted by the Elder Gods and has found refuge in Zaterra getting out from sight of others but two servants of his, Baraka and Skarlet, managed to find him continuing to demonstrate loyalty to him. Now he, helped by his servants, is waiting for the right time to take back the control of Outworld.
- Sindel: the Queen of Edenia, with her daughter, Princess Kitana, Jade and Taven, after the disappearance of Shao Kahn, is trying to restore their realm freed from the command of Outworld.
- Skarlet: created with the blood of many warriors destroyed in Outworld's wars who came to be controlled by Shao Kahn. She has remained loyal to his leader following him up to Zaterra waiting for the right time to take back the control of Outworld.
- Sonya Blade: member of Special Forces, she has been elected as Earthrealm guardian along with Johnny and Kenshi by Raiden.
- Zhang Tsung: powerful, deadly Sorcerer, after the defeat and disappearance of Shao Kahn, he has been enslaved by Quan Chi and forced to serve him and Shinnok.
Returning Characters from the further previous episodes
- Ashrah: Demon from from Netherrealm with the appearance of a fair-skinned woman with light makeup and has dark brown hair tied into a bun. Ashrah has possession of a powerful, holy artifact known as the Kriss, a weapon which has the ability to clean the soul of its user, its power is not limited to just affecting the user's essence, but also their personalities.
- Bo' Rai Cho: drunken master of martial arts from Outworld but residing in Earthrealm. Despite his obese and drunken appearance, Bo' Rai Cho is an extremely skilled combatant. He very often uses his drunken state to his advantage in battle, especially in some of his special moves. He also uses his obesity as an advantage in battle. Bo' Rai Cho can also manipulate seismic events (such as earthquakes).
- Daegon: half-Edenian half-God residing in Earthrealm, he is the fouder of the Red Dragon clan along with his guardian Caro. Daegon possesses the ability to control fire and is proficient in duel wielding his Drakeswords.
- Dairou: a former Seidan guard, who was imprisoned for killing the man who murdered his family. After escaping prison Dairou went rogue and decided to work as a mercenary. He takes assignments where he can find them, whether they are noble or not. Dairou is a stealthy fighter, choosing not to rely on powerful projectiles but rather on pop-up abilities and strategy. He can slam his body on the ground to send the opponent flying, setting them up for a juggle. He can also switch places with his opponent, which can be extremely useful if Dairou has his back to a death trap.
- Darrius: originating from the Orderrealm, he is an ambitious and unscrupulous man whose intricate schemes further his own ambitions. To his followers, as well as to the patriots of Seido, he is a revolutionary and visionary. To his foes and other people, he is a terrorist. He is most known for the massive riots he starts in Orderrealm. Apart from his cunning and manipulative skills, Darrius is shown to excel in both strength and speed. Many of his attacks utilize agility that many other characters don't have, and others (particularly his finishers) show him using surprising strength with his bare hands. His Deception ending depicts him being able to take on and defeat Hotaru on his own, apparently quite easily.
- Frost: a Lin Kuei kunoichi from Earthrealm. Frost's cryokinetic powers are extremely potent, she freezes a large area of the ground in front of her, thereby increasing her range and improving her odds of connecting with an enemy. She can also slide into the opponent and knock them down, as well as execute an uppercut by teleporting away from the opponent and reappearing behind them. Finally, her freezing powers allow her to create two small daggers made of pure, concentrated ice that she uses in battle. Overall, she may not be as powerful as her mentor, but she makes up for it with her superior speed and strategic potential.
- Fujin: God of the Wind from Heaven, he along with Raiden has to stop Shinnok, the Emperor of Netherrealm, who aims to join Earthrealm and Outworld to Netherrealm creating one big realm reigned by chaos. Having the complete control of all things related to wind, Fujin can can levitate by manipulating the wind around him, allowing him to strike the opponent from a safe distance. He can also send miniature tornadoes at his opponents that spin them around several times and leave them vulnerable to follow-up attacks. Additionally, he can levitate the opponent and slam them down on the ground and transform himself into a tornado to heave them towards him.
- Havik: Chaosrealmer Cleric of Chaos, he is neither good nor evil, his ambitions are only to spread discord, and he will ally himself with those who can seek to further his ends, regardless of their goals. He is known to be a frequent troublemaker in Orderrealm, and is heralded as a hero by the populace of the Chaosrealm, where he has formed an alliance with the revolutionary Darrius. Being a Cleric of Chaos, Havik possesses a fighting style showcasing a bizarre assortment of techniques that can both throw off and devastate the opponent's mind and body.
- Hotaru: Hotaru is a general from the realm of Orderrealm and devotes himself to preserving law and order at any cost. So much so that he could be described as a zealot. Hotaru is more of a lawful type of neutral because he preserves law and order for those of a higher authority whether good, neutral or evil. Hotaru has the ability to project lava, as evidenced by his special attacks. He can also use this power as a means of ambushing his opponent. He is able to use the Naginata.
- Hsu Hao: an evil, deceptive Mongolian grappler member of the Red Dragon clan. He infiltrated the Special Forces with the sole purpose of destroying them after he had aided them in destroying the Black Dragon crime clan, the long-time rivals of the Red Dragon.
- Kai: nimble and agile Nepali Shaolin Monk of the Gurkha warrior class from Earthrealm. Kai was part of the White Lotus Clan, as a result, he has very nimble moves.
- Kira: courageous woman with the ability to take great risks, she is a recruit of Kabal for the Black Dragon clan. Kira is a skilled combatant, she can curls into a ball and flies at his opponent or blows a kiss that stuns the opponent by irritating their eyes. She can control sound, sometimes with the aid of a tambourine which she use also as a offensive weapon, stunning the opponent. In the previous games her origins was not well understood, maybe Afghans, now her somatic traits and outfis might lead to Middle-Eastern or Maghrebi roots.
- Kobra: street brawler character, infamous for his brutality and savage killings showing no mercy to his opponents, he is a recruit of Kabal for the Black Dragon clan.
- Li Mei: a Outworlder warrior, the people of her village located at Sun Do in Outworld are refugees in the Earthrealm because that land has been occupied and exploited by Black Dragon clan, so she aims to free her homeland. Li Mei's body is very flexible and she can shoot a purple ball of energy at the opponent. She is able to use the Guan Dao.
- Mavado: leading figure, second only to Daegon, within the Red Dragon clan, he relies on discipline and superior intelligence to fight. He has got an alliance with Mileena. Mavado does not appear to have any supernatural powers or enhancements done to his body. Nevertheless, he is a very formidable opponent indeed. He fights ruthlessly while maintaining a level head, but appears to be much more collected in this aspect, besting him in kombat and taking his Whip as trophy. He uses it to propel himself across vast distances, oddly enough, he never targets his enemies with its blades.
- Reiko: an Outworlder, he was the general of Shao Kahn's army. Once Shao Kahn desappeared, came to power Kotal Kahn in Outworld but he thinks that the new Emperor is not worthy of his task so he ally himself with Mileena's rebel faction.
- Shinnok: the vengeful and powerful Emperor of Netherrealm and fallen Elder God, his aim is joining Earthrealm and Outworld to Netherrealm creating one big realm reigned by chaos. Being a fallen Elder God, Shinnok possesses immeasurable powers. The nature of his powers seem to revolve around darkness and the Netherrealm, summoning skeletal hands from the ground to grab and bind his opponents as well as pulverize them. His powers of mimicry and shape shifting are absolute, as he can mimic the abilities and powers of other combatants; the only drawback to this is that the powers he mimics must be in his jurisdiction.
- Shujinko: member of the White Lotus Society with a with a past as a Traveler in the realms learning the kombat skills of many warriors. Some month after the defeat and disappearance of Shao Kahn and ascent to the Outworld throne of Kotal Kahn, the spirit of Onaga the Dragon King appeared to him informing that Kotal Kahn will be killed by Mileena Outworld, without a ruler, will be prevailed by chaos for some years until Shao Kahn manage to take back the control of Outworld. Shinnok imprison Shao Kahn in a mysterious Amulet getting his powers. Shinnok, with a huge power, joins Earthrealm, Outworld and Chaosrealm to the Netherrealm creating one big realm reigned by chaos and razing other realm, including Edenia and Orderrealm. So two young women, Cassandra and Jacqueline, soon will travel back in time through a portal generated by the God of the Time (one of the few Gods still alive) to stop Shinnok and to advise that Shao Kahn is plotting a resumption of Outworld power, and he must welcome and help them.
- Tanya: a slender, gloomy Edenian corrupted by evil allying with the Brotherhood of Shadow. She helped the deposed Mileena to escape from imprisonment at the hands of the usurper Kotal Kahn. Now she ally himself with Mileena's rebel faction.
- Taven: half-Edenian half-God with a guardian named Orin, Queen Sindel, Princess Kitana and her childhood friend Jade, after the disappearance of Shao Kahn, is trying to restore Edenia freed from the command of Outworld. Associated with the element of fire, he devastating fireballs that can decimate rows of lesser opponents in one fell swoop, deliver an earth-shaking leaping ground pound that knocks foes into the air and deliver quick punches with his fist enveloped in fire. He also has the ability to teleport himself across vast distances and temporarily halt time.
All selectable arenas are designed to hold 3D battles in a single tier, are 500 square meters hosting (with a different convex shape for every one) and bounded so fighters can't fall from the ring.
- Acid Bath: located in a temple garden of Outworld. It is circular in basic shape bounded by a grate and is in the center of an acid pool, takes place in early evening with a clear weather but wrapped by an acid fog. Placed in the pool around the arena there are four "Acid Buddhas", strange effigies that showcase a translucent bowel of acid. Once these were used by Tsung, now no one knows if this place is still frequented even if this place doesn't seem neglected.
- Armory: located in a building which once was the Shao Kahn's Fortress, in Outworld. It is rectangular in basic shape with the shorter sides rounded like segmental arch. It is still used to forge weapons.
- Balcony: very similat to the namesake arena, located in a fortress of Netherrealm. It is square in basic shape with a darkish sky. It has two Centaurian-like Onis statues on both sides of the room. The arena served as Onis' den, included Baphomet.
- Bank: located in a skyscraper of New York City, Earthrealm. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a clear weather. An elegant, modern building is just an ordinary bank. Some gunship helicopters can be seen flying from outside the Bank's windows.
- Bloody Abattoir: located in a small ancient city in Netherrealm named Nekros. It is rectangular in basic shape. One of the places where newcomer Netherrealmers leave their mortal bodies.
- Cathedral: located in the Earthrealm. It is rectangular in basic shape. Meeting point of Forces of Light members.
- Chamber of Seizures: located in the Earthrealm. It is rectangular in basic shape. Place where Red Dragon members save their precious and useful stuff and where Caro has been imprisoned.
- Clock Tower: located in the Earthrealm. It is hexagonal in basic shape takes place in early evening. It is the clock tower of the Vogel University.
- Coliseum: very similar to the Shao Kahn's Arena, located in the Chaosrealm. It is elliptic in basic shape takes place during the day with a very cloudy weather. Place where mortal matches are held observed by countless spectators in the stalls.
- Condemned's Cliff: located in hostile, mountainous area of Outworld. It is roundish in basic shape bounded by a fence, takes place during the day with a clear weather wrapped by a light smoke fog. This is a place where, in ancient times, sentenced to death were crucified in fact between the fence which surround the arena there are some double-barred cross-like polls with dead bodies. Between the fence there are also some vertical banners with a dark yellow background, black borders and with a black central symbol.
- Desert: located in Edenia. It is roundish in basic shape positioned on a dune bounded by some rocks and statues ruins, takes place during the day with a clear weather wrapped by a light sand fog. In the background, on one side there is a Sindel's statue about 15 meters high, on the other side there are three obelisks about 40 metres high. The Edenian warrior Jade is the guardian of this desert.
- Dragonfly: located in Outworld. It is circular in basic shape bounded by a grate, this is a flying platform, takes place during the day with a clear weather. The Dragonfly is the fastest form of transportation across the vast expanses of Outworld, aside from sorcery.
- Dungeon: very similar to the arena named Dark Prison, located in the Kotal Kahn's Fortress, in Outworld. It is hexagonal in basic shape. Hidden, underground and grim dungeon where convicts are imprisoned and tortured.
- Emperor's Kourtyard: located in Outworld. It is semicircular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a cloudy weather. The Emperor's courtyard showcases Outworld slaves building statues of Kotal Kahn in the background with a massive chained beast visible as well among the construction equipment of pulleys and wooden support beams. This area is also where public executions take place for the populace to witness.
- Existence Altar: also knows as "Nexus" located in the Heaven. It is rectangular in basic shape with with a semicircle on both of longer sides, a plane floating amongst the cloudsis bordered by torch pillars and, between them bounded by a grate. It exists as the central hub between the various Realms of existence. This altar was created by the Elder Gods to aid their chosen champion in his defense of the realms.
- Forgotten Island: located in the Lost Sea, between Earthrealm and Outworld. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a sunny weather. It is which once was Zhang Tsung's Island now abandoned. The arena is exactly located in Zhang Tsung's Gardens and in the background Zhang Tsung's Palace can be seen abandoned but in good condition.
- Gargoyle's Terrace: located in the United States on Earthrealm. It is isosceles trapezoidal in basic shape, takes place at night. Very similar to the arena named Gotham City, stage appeared in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. It's set on a terrace of a Gothic palace full of gargoyles.
- Graveyard: located in the Earthrealm. It is circular in basic shape, takes place at night with a greenish sky because there is the Soulnado in the background.
- Hidden Portal: located in a rarely-visited zone of Outworld. It is circular in basic shape, takes place in early evening with a bit cloudy weather. In the background there is a blue portal, where it actually leads to still remains a mystery. This portal is guarded by four Shadow Priests levitating near it and watching the combatants. Holding by the four support pillars, positioned just off the walkable part of the arena, there is a Portal Sphere. This stage has been merged with the one named Pit, in fact arond the arena there are metal spikes between which there are eight columns with metal spikes united in pairs by an epistyle with metal spikes. In the middle of each pair of columnss there is another elliptical-based column with metal spikes united by the epistyle too.
- Historical Marketplace: located in Outworld. It is square in basic shape, takes place during the early morning with a sunny weather. This harketplace hosts several small bazaars showcasing various wares for sale with large barrels of fruits and other foods stored around. Outworlders can be seen mingling around in the background. Massive beasts turn a large rack in the background and a Taigore lounges around sleeping.
- House of Pekara's Remains: located somewhere between Asia and Europe in Earthrealm. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a sunny weather. The arena is positioned in the ruins of a temple situated in the center of a forgotten labyrinth. This temple has been built upon the tomb of the ancient Warrior Kings.
- Ivory Square: located in the Orderrealm. It is circular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a clear weather. It's very similar to Themyscira, stage appeared in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. It's a square in the middle of a genteel city, which looks alike an acropolis, situated on an island.
- Judgment Hall: located in the Hell. It is square in basic shape with a semicircle on one of shorter sides. Place where retribution for each damned is chosen.
- Kove: located in Outworld. It is square in basic shape, takes place during the day with a cloudy weather. A pier and shipping dock.
- Kuatan Jungle: located in Outworld. It is rectangularish in basic shape, takes place at noon with a clear weather. This arena features a humid jungle filled with vine covered statues and temple fragments scattered about, with long vines hanging from the tree tops above. Massive Outworlder creature, one resembling a alligator and another resembling an overgrown cobra, can be seen moving through the foliage, observing the combatants before leaving. Ankle deep swamp water covers the ground from runoff from a river in the background.
- Kytinns' Den: located in an ancent mansion in Arnyek, Outworld and very similar to the arena named Beetle Lair. It is square in basic shape, takes place during the day with a clear weather. This mansion is the hangout of the Kytinn species and the arena is positioned in a hall full of windows.
- Lin Kuei Citadel: located in the icy region of Arctika in Earthrealm. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place in the afternoon with a bit snowy weather. The arena is positioned in the yard of the fortress of the village of the Lin Kuei clan.
- Living Forest: located in Outworld. It is circular in basic shape, takes place at night with a foggy weather. This forest has been haunted for centuries. The Trees themselves are sentient, some with faces that groan and roar. Some of the trees are hungry, and unsuspecting travelers may find themselves ensnared in their treacherous branches, and become devoured. In turn, those consumed become part of the forest.
- Maitreya Shrine: located in Taiwan, Earthrealm, and very similar to the arena named Raiden's Temple. It is circular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a clear weather. A temple in honour of Maitreya.
- Mines: located in the mines of Vaeternus, in Outworld. It is oval in basic shape. A rich mine of precious minerals digged by Morois, native species of the place enslaved by the Outworld realm.
- Nethership: located in the interior cargo hold, once used to carry prisoners, of an old namesake vessel which travels in the Lost Sea, between Earthrealm and Outworld. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place in the evening with a clear weather. Built under the order of Zhang Tsung's Island and once used by him, now acts as a utility for both Earthrealmers and Outworlders to move from one realm to another.
- Onaga's Tomb: very similar to the arena named Kombat Tomb, located in Outworld. It is octagonal in basic shape, takes place during the sunset with few clouds in the sky. a huge mausoleum which rests the dead body of Outworld's legendary ruler known as Onaga the Dragon King where most of the time his spirit appears to Shujinko.
- Raptors' Sanctuary: very similar to the arena named Reptile's Lair, located in Zaterra. It is hexadecagonal in basic shape, in the walkable outer edge of the arena there is a ring, about 3 meters wide and 20 centimeters deep, filled with a green-yellow liquid. A temple room decorated by scaly reptilian designs, Saurians have built this temple in honor of a mysterious god, looking like them, belonging to their religion. In this temple has taken refuge Shao Kahn, has been haunted by the Elder Gods, along with his his loyals Baraka and Skarlet after the defeat by Raiden.
- Red Dragon Haunt: located in the Botan Jungle in Earthrealm. It is square in basic shape, takes place during the day with a foggy and cloudy weather. The arena is positioned in a dirt yard in front of some sheds which once was temples. In these sheds there is the operating base of the Red Dragon clan.
- Refugee Camp: located in Earthrealm. It is diamond in basic shape, takes place in evening with a clear weather. A camp hosted by a large battalion of Special Forces soldiers with one of their ATV's parked close by. A lone soldier is stationed by a wall and awaits for portals from Outworld to open, where he will help the wounded and show just arriving Outworlders where to go for help or shoot down any hostile Tarkata that arrive before carrying off their bodies. Several refugees behind a fence observe the combatants with gusto, cheering on the fighting.
- Rig-To'Lyk Village: located in Osh-Tekk, Outworld. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place in early evening with a clear weather. The arena is positioned in a tree-lined front the entrance of a Mesoamerican-like building which could be a palace or a temple. Some rural housing can be seen in the background. Kotal Kahn's ancestors were from this village.
- Sacred Oasis: located in the Golden Desert, an ancient zone in Outworld. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a sunny weather. There is a large cliff face which is excavated in places where statues resided which watch the battle unfold. This stage has been merged with the one named Drum Arena, in fact giant drummers beat their drums as the fighters beat each other up placed on a footbridge on the cliff.
- Sarna Ruins: located in an ancient zone in Outworld. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a clear weather. The arena is positioned on the roof of a temple. Tornadoes swirl around in the background. There is also a pyramid-like building's ruins in the background, leading to the entrance of which once was a royal palace. Sarna was a Egyptian-like town located on a high upland on the seashore.
- Sewerage: very similar to the arena named Goro's Lair, located in a Praguean sewerage on Earthrealm. It is rectangular in basic shape with rounded corners, takes place during the day seeing light rays illuminating the arena through the slits of the manholes on the ceiling. The arena is positioned on a not deep pit of this sewerage with ankle deep mud which covers the ground. There are stone walls and some dark passageways where big rats can be seen going across them.
- Sky Temple: located in Earthrealm. It is square in basic shape, takes place during a full moon night and a meteor storm with a bit cloudy weather. A large tower-like temple used as a place of meditation by Raiden, the arena is positioned on the roof of this temple adorned with statues in the background. This temple is about 510 meters high.
- Solemn Shaolin Palace: very similar to the arena named Training Room, located in China on Earthrealm. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place place during the day, how can be seen through the window, with a sunny weather.The arena is positioned on a tatami bounded by a head height fence. Here the Shaolin Monks go to spar with each other and to hone their fighting skills.
- Sorcery Library: located in the Quan Chi's Fortress in Netherrealm. It is elliptic in basic shape and the weather is cloudy. On a side of the room, where is positioned the arena, there is a stairway leading up and a view to the Netherrealm outside. On other side there is a pit of blood where an incomplete flesh construct periodically rises. Throughout the room are skull-patterned pillars.
- Special Forces Base: located in Earthrealm. This arena made its debut in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a foggy weather being among the peaks of some mountains. A mountain-based hangar belonging to the Special Forces. A few looming plane like vehicles and computer bays can be seen in the background.
- Subway: located and situated deep underneath of a large, urban city on Earthrealm. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place during the day how can be seen from the the top of the escalators. The two long sides, where there are the binaries, are bounded by fall arrest barriers with some door to get on the train.
- Sun Do Fortress: very similar to the arena named Palace Grounds, located in an ancient zone in a city named Sun Do, in Outworld. It is rectangular in basic shape, takes place at night with a clear weather and a starry sky. The arena is positioned on a large square front the fortess of this village. The part of the side where there is the flight of steps to to enter the fortress is bounded by a big gate. Being Sun Do occupied and exploited by Black Dragon clan, this building is used by them as a haunt of theirs.
- Tekunin Laboratory: located in the Tekunin Warship on Netherrealm. It is irregular octagonal in shape, with four sides longer and the other four sides line joining them shorter. A cybernetic room that is used by the Tekunin ninjas for their research and projects.
- Tengu Barbican: located in Arctika, Earthrealm. It is square in basic shape, takes place in the early evening with a cloudy weather. It's the barbican of the Tengu Clan's fortress.
- Wu Shi Academy: located in Earthrealm. It is circular in basic shape, takes place during the day with a bit foggy weather. The platform, bounded by a grate, is suspended by five massive statues of great masters that founded the academy. The center practice area is used to evaluate tests as the teachers watch from the tower.
- Yin Yang Archipelago: inspired by an existing arena named Yin Yang Island, located exactly on the border between Earthrealm and Outworld. It is rectangular in basic shape. The Earthrealm's side shows a reef, covered with corals and starfishes, on which two sunbathing Mermaids and four jumping dolphins in a calm open ocean and clear blue skies bathed in beautiful sunlight. There is also a Buddhist-looking statue holding a flower pot and a far islet with tall palm trees. The Earthrealm's side shows a far seven-headed Hydra and an Asian-style castle on a plateau in a very rough sea during a storm. There is also a skull faced, undead-looking statue holding a fire pot that emits a flame.
WORK IN PROGRESS